WE ARE HIRING!
July 21 , 2023
Plogging co-ordinators wanted for new programme
Planet Earth Games is launching a brand new community plogging programme and is seeking five co-ordinators to bring it to life in London, Bristol and Exeter. This programme has been funded by support from the Postcode Lottery and London Marathon Foundation and in partnership with England Athletics. Planet Earth Games Founder and CEO Chris Broadbent said: "Our charity's mission is to inspire people to active and sustainable lifestyles, so plogging is the perfect Planet Earth Games activity. This is a fabulous and rewarding opportunity for someone to make an impact on wellbeing and sustainability in their own community."
PLOGGING CO-ORDINATORS x 5 – FREELANCE, 12 MONTHS
Planet Earth Games is a charity on a mission to inspire people to active and sustainable lifestyles through the power of sport and physical activity. Our events and activities encourage people to connect with nature, take climate action and support wellbeing. Since launching in 2019 we have reached over 1.5m people in community, education and workplace settings.
We have partnered with England Athletics to promote sustainable behaviour and attitudes. This year (2023), we are launching a new community plogging programme. Plogging is a Swedish invention combing litter picking with jogging. We are seeking local co-ordinators, with Leader in Running Fitness qualifications to activate this new programme in the following areas:
• Brent (London)
• Newham (London)
• Barking and Dagenham (London)
Each plogging event will be part of the wider Planet Earth Games programme where registered participants score points and earn badges for taking part in sustainable events and challenges.
We are seeking committed individuals with a Qualified Leader in Running Fitness who can lead running groups once a month in their local community to cover distances between 2k and 5k and collect litter. The role entails:
• 12 month contract
• Plotting and planning routes
• Targeting areas of higher deprivation
• Deliver 12 one-hour sessions across a 12 month period at a set time, eg. every second Sunday at 10am
• Marketing each event locally to attract participants, including posting on social media*
• Ensure health and safety of all participants through the course of each run*
• Completion of registration process
• Take responsibility for storing and management of all supplied plogging equipment
• Source an appropriate waste management partner to maximise recycling*
• Capture and record information and images from each event, eg, number of people, distance covered, litter collected (weight), recycleable litter collected (weight)
• Taking part in fortnightly video call with Planet Earth Games CEO and other local co-ordinators to support and share best practice
• £2340 per annum – co-ordinators must work freelance and are responsible for own tax arrangements
*you will be provided with support materials to assist you
This would suit someone who is:
• Physically able to lead group runs
• Empathetic, personable
• A clear communicator
• Flexible, with a good sense of humour
• A good understanding of their community
• Has a passion for staying active and sustainability
Appointed co-ordinators will receive a full induction and ongoing support from the CEO at Planet Earth Games at fortnightly meetings and in-between times if required. This is a new programme, so the input from local co-ordinators of how it is working ‘on the ground’ is invaluable. The programme is open to evolution to find the best models to meet physical activity and sustainability outcomes.
Please send a CV and covering letter outlining your suitability via email by Friday 25 August.